Nutritionists recommend that everyone needs to take fruits and vegetables each day because they are good for promoting good health. They contain powerful phytochemicals, which are related to color and they protect your health and body. The different colors in various fruits and vegetables contain a combination of phytochemical and nutrients to work together when you eat them as a meal, part of a meal or a snack depending on your daily requires.
Vegetables are rich in Vitamin A & C, folate, fiber and potassium and fruits naturally have low sodium, fat, and calorie content and are rich in fiber, vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and folate.
Reasons why you should take fruits and vegetables include:
- They prevent many illnesses and protect your health because they contain the essential minerals, vitamins, fiber and phytochemicals which fight diseases. When you eat fruits and vegetables daily, you reduce the risk of getting stroke, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and even some forms of cancer. Research shows that a high intake of non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli, leafy greens and cabbage reduces the chances of getting stomach, mouth and colorectal cancer while the carotenoid compound in tomatoes starves off prostate cancer.
- Great for people who want to lose weight. Fruits and vegetables have lower fat and calorie content and are loaded with water and fiber which creates a feeling of fullness hence you will not feel hungry often. With low-fat content in the body, you are assured of reduced blood cholesterol, which lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- Gives the body energy because fruits and vegetables are known to be natural sources of energy and give the body various nutrients to keep the body working.
- Fiber helps reduce constipation and diverticulitis and it’s important for proper bowel movements.
- Folate helps in the formation of red blood cells in the body and it is very important to women who are pregnant as it reduces the risk of neural tube defects, anencephaly, and Spinal Bifida during fetal development.
- Vitamin A keeps the skin and eyes healthy and protects them from any infections
- Vitamin C helps in the recovery process of cuts and wounds, keeps the teeth and gums healthy and aids in iron absorption.
To get maximum nutrients it is best to add a variety of fruits and vegetables because they contain various colors where each has different nutrients. The required amount of serving of fruits and vegetables will depend on your daily caloric intake needs, but you should ensure that you take a fruit and vegetables each day. U.S Department of Agriculture recommends that you take 2 ½ cups of vegetables and 2 cups of fruits each day.
When you eat vegetables as a salad, they may have a bland taste but you can add flavor. There are very many spices or seasonings that you can use and at simplespicerubs.com we have a variety of 100% healthy and nutritious spice rubs, salts, and seasonings that you can use to take the taste to a new level.